You are here: Home / Advocacy and rights / Dementia and Hope / Dementia and Hope – resources / Dementia and Hope – films
Dementia and Hope – film and audio resources
Dementia, Disability… and Hope (2021) – a series of seven films made by Philly Hare at Innovations in Dementia for One Dementia Voice.
- Film 1: People with dementia discuss what this approach means to them (15 mins) – view here
- Film 2: Carers discuss the relevance of information about rights to support their requests for better support (11 mins) – view here
- Film 3: Professor Tom Shakespeare, sociologist, bioethicist and disabled person, sets dementia in the context of the disability rights movement (21 mins) – view here
- Film 4: Neil Crowther, independent expert on equality, human rights and social change, and former carer for his father, explains the relevance of the social model to dementia (20 mins) – view here
- Film 5: Toby Williamson, social care consultant and rights expert, talks about equality and changing the narrative of dementia (20 mins) – view here
- Film 6: Sam Cox, Knowledge Officer for Legal and Welfare Rights at Alzheimer’s Society, explains why it’s important to be aware of and use the law (11 mins) – view here
- Film 7: Grainne McGettrick, Research and Policy Manager at Acquired Brain Injury, Ireland (and previously at the Alzheimer Society of Ireland), reflects on the importance of human rights and capacity law for people with dementia (19 mins) – view here
Other film and audio resources
Kate Swaffer and Peter Mittler (2016 ADI Conference) on the need for a human rights-based approach to dementia (film: 33 mins), view here.
Dianne Gove (2018 Alzheimer Europe conference): Recognising dementia as a disability (film: 14 mins) – view here.
Kate Swaffer (2021), Dementia through the disability lens (podcast interview: 40 mins) – listen here.
The PANEL Principles: Taking a Human Rights Based Approach (2020) (film: 2 hrs 38 mins) – view here.
“Leading our own research – what can people with dementia and people from other disability movements learn from each other?” Dementia Enquirers Podcast 2 – listen here.
Dementia and Hope resources
Dementia and Hope resources and organisations who can provide supportClick here
Information for professionals
Information about Dementia and Hope for health, social care and voluntary sector staffClick here